[CentOS] Update, now can't unlock

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat May 19 20:36:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 21:18 +0100, Peter Crighton wrote:
> I started a yum update this afternoon and there were lots of updates
> (182) so I presume it's the 4.5 update.
>
> Now I can't unlock the session with my password!
>
> Any ideas? (no caps lock is not on!)
> --
>
> Peter Crighton
<snip sig stuff>

Maybe you need to <CTRL>-<ALT>-<F1> to tty1, login as root and reboot? I
make a guess that something called by the lock manager when you try to
unlock has changed and is incompatible with the lock manager that was
already running. Since the running one is still the old version, it
would need to find the old version of some component (a .so lib?) that
may not have been in use, and therefore went away? Currently running
instances will not be updated to new (and their image does not *really*
evaporate) until the instance terminates and a new instance is invoked.

Pure theorization, but ...

HTH
___
Bill