[CentOS] Installing to other than "/" label

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon May 21 20:48:46 UTC 2007

I have a system with Fedora installed on the partition with label "/". Can
I install CentOS on a new empty partition (/dev/cciss/c0d3p1), or do I need
to remove the "/" label on the Fedora partition and change Fedora's fstab
to mount by physical partition? I'd like to keep Fedora as a fall-back OS
until I have CentOS completely up and working.

My Fedora fstab:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2       swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu
0 0