[CentOS] question on zenity centos 5

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 21 21:31:34 UTC 2007

Ryan Ordway wrote:
> On 5/21/07 1:58 PM, "Jerry Geis" <geisj at pagestation.com> spake:

>>When I use a little program.
>>                for(count = 0; count <= 100; count += 10)
>>                        {
>>                        printf(stdout, "%d\n", count);
>>                        sleep(1);
>>                        }
>

> Try adding this after your printf():
>
> fflush(stdout);

Not going to change anything. Since stdout is by default
opened as a text mode file, and is also set to be line
buffered, the '\n' at the end of each line automatically
causes an fflush(.) and adding another won't help.

> The stdio functions use buffered output, so it's likely that zenity is just
> not getting any of the output until the program has completed. By doing an
> fflush() you will force the data to be flushed from the buffer and printed,
> so that zenity can pick it up from the pipe.

Well, what you say is true, but the fflush(.) is going to happen,
anyway. If adding one causes a difference in behavior, then
you have a non-conforming implementation (i.e., it isn't C).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.