[CentOS] 4.5 upgrades on production servers?

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Mon May 21 23:59:44 UTC 2007

Abba Communications wrote:
> Anyone besides me totally throw (most) caution into the wind and yum update
> any mission critical production 4.x boxen to 4.5 without any problems?
>
> 8-p

Against my better judgement, I did it on a server that was providing
primary domain name service for a domain I care about.  It seemed to go
without a hitch.  Then a few hours later I noticed that DNS lookups for
that domain were failing, but other domains served by that same instance
of bind were just fine.  I'm not sure why, but a bogus CNAME entry
(which was indeed an error) in the db.thatdomain file was causing bind
to quietly refuse to load that zone file.  Otherwise, I haven't noticed
any issues, but I haven't tried it on any other servers yet as that made
me a bit skittish.

Best,