[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Tue May 22 00:35:00 UTC 2007

The compile finished with no apparent errors.

When I ran 'make xconfig' I selected 'm' for ne2000 support so that it would
create a module.

I used the find command to search in /home/cs/redhat for ne.ko and it was not
found.
I greped the .config file for the relevant lines:
The command I used and the output are as follows:

grep ISA /home/cs/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.18-`uname -m`.config | grep -v
HISAX | grep -yv disable

CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
# Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
# CONFIG_ISA is not set
# CONFIG_EISA is not set
# CONFIG_ISAPNP is not set
CONFIG_NET_ISA=y
# Wireless 802.11b ISA/PCI cards support
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_AVMB1_B1ISA is not set
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_AVMB1_T1ISA is not set
# ISA-based Watchdog Cards
CONFIG_I2C_ISA=m
# CONFIG_I2C_PCA_ISA is not set
# ISA devices

I also greped for NE2000 in the same file:

CONFIG_NE2000=m

I am 99% sure that I entered 'y' for ISAPNP and ISA support and 'm' for
ne2000.
The above shows that ISAPNP is not set. In my research I read that it should
be selected. Does it need to be?

I am more than willing to recompile again and double check the settings after
I have run 'make xconfig'.

But before doing that, is there a way to limit which kernels in the i686
 group are compiled? If it can be limited to one (ie. exclude xen, PAE etc.),
 then the compile will not take nearly as long.

Thanks,
David