[CentOS] A question about RAID and partitions

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue May 22 23:46:25 UTC 2007

> You could always combine software raid and LVM.
>
> Create a RAID1 device using Software RAID.
>
> Then set up LVM with the apropriate LVM logical volumes under /dev/md0 or
> whatever.

Ok, I'll accept that. My initial question remains, albeit under a different
form:

- Create a single RAID 1 device with both entire disks and then put LVM
logical volumes on top
- Create several RAID devices, one for each mount point (md0, md1, md2 and
so forth)

Which one would be better under the aspects of performance (CPU utilization,
disk
transfer rate, etc), data security and ability to recover from a disk crash?

Does LVM bring a performance penalty?