[CentOS] java packages - tomcat5?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:45:27 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 00:54 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Have the jpackage-packaged things like tomcat5 been moved into the disto
>> repositories?  Do they work with sun java?  In particular, tomcat5 used
>> to require jta.  The one yum installs doesn't mention it now, but it
>> also doesn't work with sun java 1.5 installed the jpackage way.  What am
>> I missing?
>
> The included Tomcat does require jta:
>
> $ rpm -q --requires tomcat5-common-lib | grep 'jta'
> jta >= 0:1.0.1
> jta >= 0:1.0.1
>
> Which is at least provided by geronimo-specs-compat.

I thought jta was non-free and had to be downloaded from Sun like the
jvm itself.  Is this a full replacement?

 >  Anyway, back to the
> issue, what does your Tomcat log say (/var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out)? If
> it is something along the lines of:
>
> ---
> sun.misc.InvalidJarIndexException: Invalid index
>         at sun.misc.URLClassPath
> $JarLoader.getResource(URLClassPath.java:769)
>         at sun.misc.URLClassPath
> $JarLoader.getResource(URLClassPath.java:682)
>         at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:161)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:192)
> [...]
> ---
>
> You are probably bumping into the issue described here:
> https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2007-May/011416.html
>
> Until upstream fixes this, I think the only solution is to rebuild
> Tomcat without brp-java-repack-jars being used, use the updated Tomcat
> packages from JPackage, or stick to gcj.

Thanks.  Yes, that is the error.  Is there a way to tell yum to use the
jpackage version which seemed to be OK on Centos4.x?  Actually I used
tomcat55 from jpackage and the Centos tomcat5 seems to be a 5.5.x
version.  What's the real relationship?

I was hoping having this stuff included was going to make things
easier...  The goal here is to get opennms working with as much packaged
as possible for easier updating.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com