[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Thu May 24 19:47:50 UTC 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007 1:37 pm, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On 5/24/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> > > (1) prepare .spec by removing lines from %prep
> > > (2) rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.6.spec
> > > (3) go to BUILD  (where .config is)
> > > (4) make xconfig
> > > (5) add # i386 to .config as the first line
> > > (6) copy this .config back to SOURCES  (using the original name
> > > xxx.config) (7) rpmbuild -ba kernel-2.6.spec
> > >
> > > Or, instead of steps (5) to (7), just run:
> >
> > I did 5 and 6 anyway, assuming that in the worst case they were not
> > needed and would do no harm. I then did 'rpmbuild -bc ...' as below.

Does the rpmbuild -bc work only in the BUILD directory? Or does it work in
 the SOURCE directory?
Will doing step 5 and 6 cause any problems?

> > It was working until gpg had a segfault. From some of the emails I have
> > been reading this is a known problem that has not been fixed yet.
> >
> > Other emails I have read indicated that signmodule should be set to 0.
> > What is the down side risk of doing this?
>
> All I can tell you is that 'signmodules' is set to 0 in my spec file.
> I did not change it, so that must have been CentOS's default (?).

There is sigmodules in several places in the SPEC file. The first one is set
to '0' but the others are not.
I prefer not setting singmodules to '0' unless I know what the risks are.

The last time I recompiled a kernel was when it was at 2.4.x. Is there a way
to compile the kernel without using rpmbuild?

> By the way, Johnny Hughes has kindly checked the above procedure and
> said, "that's what I do."  This is a big assurance.  I agree that your
> goal is almost there.

This is good, but what does he do to avoid segfaults?

Thanks,

David

> Isn't Linux fantastic?  Imagine trying this in Windows...
>
> Akemi

RD Woodyard, Inc.