[CentOS] newer HP G4 and G5 servers and centos :-) [VERY OFF TOPIC]

MrKiwi mrkiwi at gmail.com
Thu May 24 22:36:21 UTC 2007

Walt Reed wrote:
<snip>
> Any memory problem I've seen has shown up within the
> first month. It helps that we burn them in for a month before putting
> them into production. I run some drive / memory excersizing utilities
> during this time that pound on the server pretty hard. Compiling the
> Linux kernel over and over again also seems to be a good test :-)

<snip>
> Ditto. Have about 30 385's that have been pretty solid, but the G5's are
> faster. It matters when you are doing jobs that take months to run...
> :-)

Walt - If you don't mind/are allowed to, can you tell us
what your servers do? The reason i ask is this;

It seems to me that many users make decisions based on what
they read on these lists, in mags, in (*cringe*) gartner
reports etc, but i think we often miss the fact that many of
the 'data points' come from squeaky wheels or completely
irrelevant demos and 'studys'.

I always try to weight the current opinions based on the
authors experience, zen-ness etc, *not* volume and clever
nouns. I also weight heavily people with large karma, like
(on this list) John, Mark, Karanbir, Jim etc - you *know*
they would have looked at any issues like outdated firmware
before they comment, so if they give something a bad review
you can be fairly sure it is deserved.

So to get to the point - if you are doing tasks that take
months, either you are doing it wrong, or it is a *real* job
that requires a *real* OS on *great* hardware to get it done
- I suspect the latter, which means your data
points/comments are much more relevant than most.

So ... spill the beans :)

MrKiwi