[CentOS] Squid +Yum = apt-cacher?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Fri May 25 15:15:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:51:36AM -0500, Les Mikesell enlightened us:
> >There is, use a baseurl in your config file rather than the mirrorlist.
>
> But that's a per-box per-repo specific change, with per-distro, per-repo
> variations for the end users to figure out for themselves. And then it
> won't fail over at all if the url you pick goes away.  Aren't computers
> supposed to work for you instead of the other way around?

You can't please everyone. I'd argue that the majority of people are not
behind a proxy of any sort. I'm assuming you are using a transparent proxy
such that you don't have to configure proxy settings on every box - so I
won't argue that point.

Regardless, tools like puppet, or simply providing .repo files for folks
makes it fairly painless to make those changes for end-users.

Yes, computers should work for you, however you can't expect the software to
read your mind and do what you think it should do. Some amount of
configuration is necessary on *any* computer - why is this different?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics