[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri May 25 18:01:48 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> I did some more investigation.
> After a cd to the BUILD directory, I ran 'make xconfig' and set the 3 items
> that I need. isa, isapnp and ne2000 support.
>
> From the SPEC directory I ran 'rpmbuild -bc --short-circuit kernel-2.6.spec'.
> After about 4 minutes I looked at the contents of the .config file in the
> BUILD directory.
>
> ALL 3 ITEMS I had selected had been DELETED.
>
> I also noticed that rpmbuild -bc runs 'make mrproper'.
> From my 2.4.x days, I seem to remember that mrproper restores everything to
> original content. Is my memory correct?

I normally use make menuconfig, but I'm wondering if the basic process
is the same:

cd <rpm-build-base/BUILD/kernel*/linux*/
cp <rpm-base-dir>/SOURCES/<your-choice-of-config-file> .config
make xconfig
cp .config <rpm-base-dir>/SOURCES/<your-choice-of-config-file>
cd <rpm-build-base>/SPECS
rpmbuild ...

Whatever you create in the BUILD/kernel*/linux*/ directory is
reconstructed from scratch UNLESS you are doing an rpmbuild -bc or -bi
with --short-circuit, and that won't get you an rpm of the kernel,
just the kernel itself.

--
Mark Hull-Richter
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)