[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri May 25 21:46:27 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> The process you describe is the process I am using. There has been a couple of
> problems along the way. Only 1 problem has not been resolved.
>
> If signmodules is set to 1 in the SPEC file for the arch that I have, then
> there is a segfault during the process when using 'rpmbuild -ba'. From the
> emails I have read, this is a known problem that has not been resolved.
>
> I am currently running the process with all the fixes for the problems I have
> been having. This includes signmodules set to 0. Signmodules is defined in
> several places in the SPEC file.
>
> I am concerned about the signmodules setting since I do not know what it does.
> It would seem to be important but I do not know. Are you knowledgeable about
> this or do you know where I can get information about it?

David,

<preamble>I am not a kernel developer, so I could be totally wrong.</preamble>

My impression is that the gpg kernel module signing is something
provided by distros (redhat, fedora?) and might not (yet) be in the
mainline kernel.  IF this is correct, that would imply that omitting
this feature is not a serious concern.  Especially, it you never load
a module from unknown sources, you wouldn't have to worry about gpg
signing.  If I were you, I would go ahead and rebuild the kernel by
turning off the signmodules option.  To be able to use the NIC seems
more critically important to you.

Once again, I could be wrong.  It's your call.

Akemi