[CentOS] SCSI device not detected after 4.5 update

Adam Huffman

adam.huffman at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 31 13:45:21 UTC 2007

After updating to Centos 4.5, I found that one of the LUNs on an
external SCSI array wasn't being detected.  If I add the device manually
after boot

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 1 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi

it is detected.  I can then use the LVM tools to activate it and then
mount the LV on the device.

It doesn't seem to be kernel related as I rebooted into a 4.4 kernel and
the same thing happened.  There's no error message I can see at boot, it
just doesn't see the device.

It's using a QLogic HBA but with the upstream module, not the
out-of-tree QLogic one.  It worked fine under 4.4.

I suspect changes to dmsetup and/or multipath.  Has anyone else seen
something similar?

Adam