[CentOS] More CentOS5 nVidia fun

Thu May 3 02:56:56 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

In the vein of the "Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024" and
"Another CentOS 5 oddity..." threads, I just installed CentOS5 w/Xen
kernel on a Sony VAIO desktop with an nVidia NV5M64 (RIVA TNT2 64 Pro)
card, using an old Samsung SyncMaster 700NF monitor.

system-config-display chose the highest possible resolution for the
monitor and Xorg did its best to drive it, but it just isn't quite
right: rhgb merely made a mess, which only sort of clears up when gdm
starts.  After I log in, only bits and pieces of menus and windows are
painted.

Rebooting single user I re-ran system-config-display and it claimed to
have written 1280x1024 into xorg.conf, but in fact it didn't: it
omitted the "Screen" section entirely.  Rhgb was still messed up, gdm
still seemed to be at some very high resolution, and then after
logging in I found myself at 800x600 with no option to set the
resolution higher.

Three passes of switch-to-text-console-and-run system-config-display
(including manually selecting my monitor) later, I finally have
everything working, but only at 1024x768.  If I choose any higher
resolution, the repainting issues return.

I won't really need the GUI very often after I get other things set
up, so I'm not particularly worried about this, but I thought I'd
report it for benefit of anyone else who might encounter a problem
with a similar video card.  I'd be interested to hear further thoughts
on whether this could be a kernel issue, as suggested by Preston
Crawford.  (I have installed all the updates, for what that's worth).