[CentOS] Suggestions for partition

Wed May 9 11:25:11 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

The recent thread on Anaconda and RAID10 made me start to think about
how to partition a server I'm about to set up.  I have two 146GB SCSI
drives on an IBM x3550.  It will be used as a build system.  As such,
there is no critical data on these systems, as the source code will
be checked out of our source control system, and the build results
are copied to another system.  I usually build my systems with
Kickstart, so if a disk dies, I can rebuild it quickly.

Given all that, how would you partition these disks?  I keep going
back and forth between various options (HW RAID, SW RAID, LVM,
etc.).  I guess speed is more important to me than redundancy.  I'm
tempted to install the OS on one drive and use the entire second
drive for data.  This way I can rebuild or upgrade the OS without
touching the data.  But that will waste a lot of disk space, as the
OS does not need 146GB.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is to put 2GB of swap on each
drive, but after that everything is still in the air.  I am looking
for any and all suggestions from the collective wisdom and experience
of this list.

Thanks,
Alfred