[CentOS] CentOS 5 ssloooowww when network unavailable

Fri May 11 01:07:46 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

This is undoubtedly an upstream issue, but ...

I've been messing about with that hp pavilion trying to get wireless
working.  If I boot with the eth0 NIC plugged in, everything is
blazingly fast -- GDM comes up in a few seconds, the Gnome startup
splash screen barely has time to appear before it's gone again, shells
pop up the instant I click Open Terminal.

If I unplug the network and reboot, it all goes to hell.  It takes
several minutes for GDM to start, the splash screen sometimes lingers
up to 10 minutes after the window manager is running, terminal windows
take varying lengths of time from 2-15 minutes to open.  It even takes
5-6 minutes to mount filesystems from the USB drive.

Nothing unusual appears in "top"; gnome-system-monitor is one of the
apps that takes forever to launch (to the point that I thought it had
crashed), but it doesn't show anything odd either.  No activity in the
various /var/log files.  Any ideas what could be causing this?