[CentOS] Squirrelmail Problem on CentOS 4.4

Wed May 16 23:18:03 UTC 2007
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Recently, some of my accounts cannot read any email in the INBOX within
Squirrelmail. The error....

The server couldn't find the message you requested.

Most probably your message list was out of date and the message has been
moved away or deleted (perhaps by another program accessing the same
mailbox).

The messages are not being moved out. In fact, I can delete one of those
messages just fine. I can also move messages to another folder. Oddly,
once I move a message I can open and read it.. and I can open and read
any message in the Trash folder.

So, it seems that something has changed during an update to who knows
what, which has borked up reading mail in Squirrelmail. It does seem
that this is occurring so far on what would amount to root users of an
account. In other words, the user created during a hosting installation.
So, files are stored in /var/www/rootusername. When I add additional
email users to an account, I put their user files in
/var/www/homes/rootuser/additionalusername.

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm a bit lost as to where to look. I
am using Sendmail/Dovecot and have been on this server since CentOS 4
came out. This could be any of so many things from PHP to IMAP, but
mostly it seems to be some pathing problem.. just not sure where to begin.

The only thing I am finding in apache error logs is this:

PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  charset_converted in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/mime.php on line 316, referer:
http://domain_name_replaced_here_by_john.com/webmail/src/right_main.php?PG_SHOWALL=0&sort=0&startMessage=1&mailbox=saved_email

Which doesn't seem to have any affect on other users and looks like it
refers to the folder list and not the email reader.

Thanks for any hints/help on this.

Best,
John Hinton