[CentOS] GFS & Vsftpd? maybe even Iscsi?

Thu May 17 06:05:48 UTC 2007
Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net>

Looking to cluster an FTP server.  Right now we do a mix of stuff where
we use a few separate servers linked through various hacks, that
utilizes VSFTPd heavily for hundreds of television station news
websites, where, of course, the current weather maps get uploaded from
everywhere, all day, from NOAA and the like.

I'd like to move from the current setup to something that's more HA
oriented, -is GFS and option in Centos and is it viable to make an FTP
server setup like this?

(please no responses about SFTP, I use that too on other servers and
yes, prefer it even if it slows things down).  Hardware is not an issue,
just curious about what some of you sage folk might have experimented
with, and possibly have put into production.  A google search turned up
relatively empty, so hopefully this isn't one of those questions that
gets a collective "huh?".

Essentially am just trying to get away from the many separate machines I
use now where I have to clone entries from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
all over the place.  Bonus:  I have an ISCSI NAS device/promiseraid, so
perhaps there's an option there instead of doing GFS I could grab a
slice of space that way and just have one server with a huge amount of
space?  It doesn't answer point of failure totally, but...

-krb