[CentOS] Slightly OT: Debian and CentOS multiboot: menu.lst problem

Sun May 27 14:56:55 UTC 2007
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

I want to slowly migrate from Debian to CentOS, so I setup a multiboot
on my main machine. There's a Debian Etch install on /dev/hda, and GRUB
is also installed on the Debian side.

On /dev/hdb, I have CentOS 5. I fdisked the drive manually, then chose
manual partitioning during install. The setup for CentOS is:

hdb1 -> swap
hdb2 -> /boot, ext2
hdb3 -> /    , ext3

After completing the install, I rebooted on the Debian side and edited
menu.lst like this:

<snip>

title                   Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18
root                    (hd0,1)
kernel                  /vmlinuz-2.6.18 root=/dev/hda3 vga=788 ro
initrd                  /initrd.img-2.6.18

title                   CentOS 5 sur hdb3
root                    (hd1,1)
kernel                  /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 root=/dev/hdb3 ro
initrd                  /initrd-2.6.18-8.el5

Now when I try to reboot on CentOS, I get an 'Error 15: file not found'.
I add that I've done many multiboot configurations before, so it's not
the first time I have such a scenario. I thought, aha, maybe a typo. So
I entered the GRUB shell and booted CentOS without problems, using tab
completion.

I double- and triple-checked after this, but I can't seem to find the
error. The stanza seems OK, but still it won't work.

Do you see a mistake that I don't see?

Niki Kovacs
--
Dyslexics have more fnu.