[CentOS] New lists

Tue May 1 02:47:39 UTC 2007
Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au>

Quoting MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com>:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> I don't understand the current rationale for a single CentOS users'
>>  list; probably in times past it was sensible, but I think the time
>>  has come for splitting the list by release.
>>
>> I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I'm sure others have
>> similar stories. How many users use all CentOS releases?
> I totally agree John - as CentOS gets more popular i too have found
> myself using 'Mark folder as Read' too often.

This is a good thing. I've just left the Fedora Core mailing lists
(users & devel) and the traffic didn't bother me at all. It's a great
thing to have a busy list - as it means that there are more eyeballs
looking at just about everything. I browse a lot of things that are
posted and although I don't reply to a lot, if I have a suggestion and
have time to write it out, I will.

>> If this list were split into one for each release, then subscribers
>>  could choose which email they see. At present, it's all or none,
>> and neither suits me.
> My worry would be the increases in cross-posting, and maybe the need
> for centos-general, but i guess these can mostly be posted to a
> CentOS(max_version) list.

Splitting by version is usually a bad idea. It causes things to split,
people post the wrong version information to the wrong lists and it
becomes a PITA. Hell, I've noticed enough people whinge and moan about
top posting... Imagine that on someone posting a v5 question to a v4
list!

> A point that may mitigate the need to act now: I have seen the volume
> of mail surge about t-2_months before the launch of v5 - and i wasnt
> here for the launch of 4.0 -> 4.4, but would you not expect a lot of
> noise to dissipate soon now we are t+2_weeks?

This depends on your definition of noise. As long as the posts are
CentOS related, I wouldn't care if there was 100 or 1000 posts per
day. I'll do the same as what I do now. Skim through the subjects (a
hint - make your subject useful and more eyeballs will read your
post!). What I do care about is people posting random junk and making
the signal to noise ratio go down the crapper.

> Thats my 2c worth.

I'll see your 2c, and raise you 2c.

--
Steven Haigh