[CentOS] Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024 - Centos 5

Tue May 1 11:29:04 UTC 2007
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 5/1/07, Paul <unix at bikesn4x4s.com> wrote:
> Samsung SyncMaster 204t (1600x1200 native) and
> Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo (Even higher)

Yeah.. uh.. I uh might have to ask you to send me this hardware for
testing. Yeah, that's it... testing... you know.. to make sure it
works :-P

> I run a few boxes on KVM switch and they all run fine on 1600x1200.
> Centos 4 never had a problem

Right, and it should continue to work fine, but sometimes KVM's mess
with the real hardware detection, so the system will get confused and
put you at a lower resolution.

> I've just installed kernel-devel and still same thing.  I've got gcc.  ;(

Does the kernel-devel version match the kernel you're currently
running? Look at the output from 'rpm -q kernel-devel', and match the
version and release numbers against the output of 'uname -r'. If the
two are different, that's why the nvidia installer is bitching.
Usually this is caused by not rebooting after a kernel update.

Someone around here suggested ATrpms, which has been known to cause
some problems with people's systems. RPMForge has the nvidia packages
as well, and I'd recommend them over ATrpms for stability and generall
packaging sanity. That and Dag (and Dries too) have been known to
frequent our mailing lists and developer channels. I've never once
seen Axel (from ATrpms) offer assistance on the list or stop by irc to
see if everything's kosher.

You might also want to try a 'system-config-display --reconfigure'
from a console and see if you can't tell it just exactly what you've
got and what settings you want to use.

George Orwell