[CentOS] Sftp slow on both our centos installs

Tue May 1 11:30:34 UTC 2007
Kennedy, Cameron <Cameron.Kennedy at bovislendlease.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Jamie Lists
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:35 AM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] Sftp slow on both our centos installs

The short version.
Copying over SFTP to our centos boxes maxes out at 2MB a sec.

The Question:
Is there some sort of speed limitation somewhere in the ssh/sftp daemon?

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

The long version
We have centos 4.6 installed on 2 different machines, different
hardware, different nics. Even on 2 different subnets.

I've tried different switches, 1000 Full/Half 100 Full/Half and still
get the same speed. It maxes out at 2MB a sec.

Same switch, network, client using sftp to our xserves gets 10MB a sec.
Basically filling the pipe of the network.

The only thing that is the same on both the linux boxes is the distro.
So i thought maybe someone may have come across this before.

I haven't tried other protocols yet (FTP and HTTP) I'll check that
tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jamie
-----Reply Message-----

You mentioned you tried different switch speeds/duplexes. You didn't
mention if you tried manually setting the speed/duplex on the NIC's
rather than use auto-negotiate. If you have the ethtools package
installed, and type "ethtool eth0" what is the speed/duplex set to? Does
it match what you have set on the switch? If not, try forcing eth0 (or
whatever your NIC is) to the speed/duplex you have on your switch and
are cabled up for. (e.g. in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 we
have:  ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"  )

This email (including any attachments) is confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient you must not copy, use, disclose,
distribute or rely on the information contained in it. If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
by reply email and delete the email from your system.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication
are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. Lend
Lease does not guarantee that this email or the attachment(s) are
unaffected by computer virus, corruption or other defects. Lend
Lease may monitor incoming and outgoing emails for compliance with
its Email Policy. Please note that our servers may not be located
in your country.