[CentOS] Raid5 issues

Tue May 1 18:44:18 UTC 2007
Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:24:34PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:

> I tried recreating the array, but it won't mount...
>
> Also a bit weird is that I did a SMART short self-test, and one of the
> drives keeps returning a Read-Failure, but the overall SMART status is
> passed.  Could this be from overheating?

I'm not sure. If those Read-Failure are error counts, than yes, I think
so. The drive is currently OK, but when it had a lot of activity it
overheated and started getting read errors.

> Would letting it cool off fix
> things, or should I call in for warranty?

Array creation creates a lot of activity for the drives, and it could
cause them to overheat. Or cause energy flutuation if the PSU isn't
powerfull enough, but I'd expect PSU problems when booting, not when
writing/reading.

I have an older system where I have to keep DMA disabled for my drives
or the system locks when cron starts updatedb or someone copies a large
file, thus my suspicion that your drives are also overheating.

About calling in for the warranty, I'd first try hddtemp
(http://www.guzu.net/linux/hddtemp.php) and if the temperature does
rise, then some more fans. :)

--
lfr