[CentOS] New lists

Wed May 2 00:26:38 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:

> Also, if I may make a slightly personal statement - you seem to respond
> to most emails, regardless of what version or arch it might be
> targeting, so I take it that even if the lists were being split you
> might join all of them !

If I were, it would be my choice, and I would have that control.

I like to try to help, and I try to maintain good humour.

I don't see a reason to split on arch, the alternative architecture I
know best (and my experience there is very old, around thirty years) is
IBM's mainframes. Those folk have their own list, and any CentOS user
running zSeries should be asking questions there (and they do), because
their environment is so different - disk transfers at gigabytes/sec,
they tend to run hundreds of penguins on one real system, their CPUs are
relatively low-performance, mostly they're using virtual disks (they say
"DASD"), they have virtual LANs and they have enterprise-grade policies
and procedures to deal with.

I don't know where iSeries and pSeries users go, but I've not noticed
any here (or on Nahant-list). I don't think I would expect them, their
hardware environment is very different from IA32 and AMD-64 systems.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait