[CentOS] centos 5 smp kerne vrs centos 4 smp kernel ???l

Fri May 4 04:40:15 UTC 2007
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On 5/3/07, Abba Communications <lists06 at abbacomm.net> wrote:

> On a Compaq DL360 G1 w/ dual PIII 1.27's I installed Centos 5 minimal and
> then a yum update
>
> When I do a "uname -a" I get this
>
> Linux tstsrvr.abbacomm.net 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 #1 SMP Mon Apr 30 19:55:44 EDT
> 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> When I do a rpm -qa | grep kern* I get this
>
> kernel-devel-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5
> kernel-headers-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5
>
> It is interesting that I did have this issue with my first Compaq DL380 load
> with slightly faster dual PIII's
>
> Centos 4 always found both processors automatically...
>
> hmmmmm, now... what part of my brains have done fell out my ears that I am
> not seeing the obvious solution on this one???

I don't see anything wrong with your kernel.  The kernel version
matches between the uname output and the kernel rpm.  Apparently
CentOS 5 found both processors (SMP in uname).  Because a single
kernel takes care of both smp and non-smp in CentOS 5, you cannot tell
by the kernel package name, but if in doubt, do a 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.

Akemi