[CentOS] alphaserver questions

Fri May 4 06:35:34 UTC 2007
Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com>

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 17:34 -0700, Abba Communications wrote:
> > Other than to scratch an itch, or to do some arch level engineering why
> > would you even want to invest in an Alpha these days ?
> >
> > Having said that, I want to add that we do have a functional CentOS-4
> > release on Alpha that I am running on my pws500u quite happily, but the
> > Alpha, for me, is here for legacy and emotional reasons.
>
> I understand what you are saying...
>
> God willing, I am looking for a decent and affordable Alpha box that I might
> be able to purchase and contrib....
>
> I am not up on current HP Alpha offerings... their website appears to show
> that it is still in serious production...
>
> Ummmm my experience and understanding is that mid and high end Alpha
> processors were one of, if not the best ever designed and implemented.

The Alpha architecture will be phased out, and HP has ceased selling new
Alpha machines:

"May 2007: HP has ceased accepting orders for new Alpha Systems as of
April 27, 2007."

Source: http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/

So, I think the question is whether good and fast hardware will still be
available easily the next seven years, and whether someone will commit
him/herself to maintain it for seven years. But that's up to the CentOS
team.

At any rate, I agree with Karanbir, Alpha will mostly be a curiousity.
But I don't think (m)any new Alpha machines are being deployed.

-- Daniel