[CentOS] Centos 5 text install doesnt install all of GNOME

Fri May 4 08:33:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 20:48 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >> The installer assumed that it could not run the GUI mode as it cam up
> >> with 232Mb memory (24Mb used by video card).
> >
> > This number itself is fairly open to argument. Is 256 megs of usable
> > ram really a hard limit practically ? I think its the best compromise
> > for the situation that we are in - and the anaconda+yum combo
> > definitely needs working to try and optimise the amount of ram it uses
> > at install time - dont think anyone is going to deny that.
> I have already done one isntall on a Compaq SFF that has 256Mb memory.
> It went well, I did not feel I had any challenges with the install.  As
> compared to the Compaq SFF with 512Mb.
>
> It would be nice if we could at least have an override to 'try it
> anyway'.  I mean what could go wrong with only 232Mb???  ;)

The installer can freeze in the middle of installing ... I have even
seen it happen on > 256mb of RAM, and I think that 384mb should be the
anaconda GUI lower limit, not 256mb for stable installs.

We will stick with what RH puts out, but believe me, you do not want to
try to do a GUI install with < 256 mb RAM.