[CentOS] Noatun and mp3s

Fri May 4 09:53:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 14:20 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: CentOS 5.0 x86.
>

> I tried to use Noatun to play back mp3s, but it does not work. Is it normal?

Very normal ...

Red Hat is a US based company and the Source RPMs that they provide do
not play MP3's

This is because it is currently a patent violation in the USA to
distribute an MP3 player without licensing it through at least 2
companies.

See this link for background:

Being that I do not have a spare $1.52 billion dollars lying around to
be able to distribute MP3 playing technology either ... you'll have to
figure out how to enable MP3's in CentOS 5 via google :P

Before anyone starts complaining and whining about the USA and it's
patent laws, etc., etc.  ...  I do not like software patents, I think
they suck too ... everyone at CentOS thinks they suck ... HOWEVER, I
still don't have $1.52 dollars, so we will continue not shipping an MP3
player in CentOS.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes