[CentOS] Trying to build custom Python 2.4.4 RPM

Sat May 5 22:14:45 UTC 2007
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

>> See how the Unified Installer does it.  In fact, an RPM of the Unified
>> Installer from Plone.org might be better than just the standalone
>> packages.

>Actually, the Unified Installer is what got me started down this road. An
>RPM of the installer would be cool, but then I thought it would be even
>better if I had separate RPMs for each component.  That way, I wouldn't
>have to rebuild the whole thing to update Python, Zope, or Plone.  The
>Unified Installer script starts with zlib. There's a stock RPM already
>available for that, so I didn't bother. Python 2.4 is the next step and
>the install script looked so simple that I didn't think building an RPM
>would be too hard. Now, after working on it for two days, I'm thinking
>otherwise.  I'm guessing I'm just making a dumb mistake somewhere though.

Hmmm.  Could be related to automatic dependency processing.  There used to be alternaive Python RPM's available for CentOS 4, IIRC, but I don't rememebr right off where they were.. lessee... look at http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2246271/com/python24-2.4.2-10.el4.pyv.i386.rpm.html and its parent, http://www.python.org/pyvault/

This may be a base to work from, although it looks like on first blush to want to replace the existing python.

As one who runs Unified Installer-installed Plone sites, I can understand the issues.  As one who maintained the PostgreSQL RPMset for five years, I can understand those issues, too, even though it's been three years now since I gave those up.

At this time I just build the UI from source, and run with it, as it's very self-contained.
--
Lamar Owen
CHief Information Officer