[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Thu May 10 16:04:02 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

SATA and SCSI/SAS should give comparable single work-load sequential
numbers, but most SCSI/SAS have better seek times so random IO will
be better on those. Also SCSI/SAS support tagged command queuing,
which allows multiple overlapping IOs so you will tend to see better
mixed workload performance compared to SATA (multi-user environment).

Having said that some of the new SATA models that support NCQ, the
SATA version of TCQ, and that use some of the same SCSI/SAS onboard
processing (Western Digital Raptors) can approach or equal SCSI/SAS
mixed load performance, but their price also approaches or equals
SCSI/SAS and their spindle speeds still do not top 10K so random
will not be as good.

-Ross