[CentOS] Disable window scaling during kickstart

Thu May 10 18:04:51 UTC 2007
Plant, Dean <dean.plant at roke.co.uk>

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 06:34:54PM +0100, Plant, Dean wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> Due to a problem with CentOS 5 and one of our firewalls I am having
>> to disable tcp window scaling to stop network connections grinding
>> to a halt. I am also trying to Kickstart CentOS 5 machines through
>> the firewall so need to disable window scaling at install time.
>>
>> I have added to the kickstart file
>>
>> %pre
>> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
>>
>> But the install still hangs while transferring the stage2.img
>>
>> Should the above %pre work or do I need to do something else to
>> disable window scaling during the install.
>>
>> In case anyone's interested CentOS 5 is the first time we have
>> suffered this problem both CentOS 3&4 worked without issue.
>
> Weird issue.  Haven't seen anyone else have it (at least on this
> list).
>
> Can you switch over to your shell console when the hang happens and
> examine the value of tcp_window_scaling to see if maybe it gets reset
> somehow?  I believe %pre should work....

Weird... Tell me about it, I spent a lot of time head scratching trying
to figure out why network connections would just mysteriously hang.
Eventually found reference to a problem with tcp_window_scaling and
firewalls and after disabling tcp_window_scaling on my test CentOS 5
box, everything started working.

The install does not get far enough for the shell console to be
available, it hangs at the transferring stage2.img.

Dean