[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Thu May 10 19:11:29 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>> I didn't think you were duplicating / across all 4 in the layout you
>> proposed.  Thus the questions about putting /boot there.  If your
>> /boot doesn't work you can always boot the install cd in rescue mode
>> to fix it but there's not much you can do about a missing /.
>>

> Originally I had boot on 2 drives raid1, with 2 more drives being
> hotspares.  Then I realized that this makes no sense, if you can just
> set up a raid1 with 4 drives (where each drive is a copy of each
> other).  Didn't really know if it was supported, but looks like it works.

I don't think there is a limit.  I have one set built with 2 250 gig
internal drives plus one specified as 'missing'.  I periodically connect
a matching external firewire drive, add it to the array and let it sync.
  When it is finished I unmount the partition just long enough to fail
the drive and remove it, and then rotate it offsite.  This is for a
backuppc archive which has millions of hardlinks from its pooling scheme
that would make it difficult to copy with normal file oriented methods.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com