[CentOS] CentOS 5 ssloooowww when network unavailable

Fri May 11 09:00:53 UTC 2007
Lorenzo <lorenzo at gmk.it>

John Newbigin ha scritto:
> Sounds like DNS.
>
> At a guess, I would try adding your hostname to the /etc/hosts file and
> set either a permanent IP address, or use 127.0.0.1
>
> John.

I agree with John: the communications between the server and the client
under X are trying to resolve the hostname which fails and they have to
wait for the DNS query timeout.

The solution is to put the hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line in /etc/hosts
If you want to be able to call the "official" address, put the full
hostname.domain on a separate line on /etc/hosts

I feel my english writing skills not adequate, so I write an example to
explain better:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       linux   localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.1	linux.mydomain.com

so if I ping linux I ping the loopback address; if I ping
linux.mydomain.com I ping the ethernet address.

As I know GDM and X uses the short name, hence the "trick": even if the
ethernet cable is unplugged (and 192.168.0.1 doesn't exists) all is fast
and working.

Bye

Lorenzo