[CentOS] Centos 5 killing applications

Fri May 11 15:15:53 UTC 2007
Marko A. Jennings <markobiz at bluegargoyle.com>

On Fri, May 11, 2007 10:23 am, centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> I recently upgraded to CentOS5, and now I have application that
> suddenly close. Did not have any problem under 4.x
>
> Applications that crash regularly.
> Claws mail [compiled under CentOS5]
> VMware 5.5.3 workstation
>
> I see nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
> In vmware-0.log  I have:
>
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| *
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| * The UI terminated unexpectedly.
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| * If you file a bug or support request about this
> issue,
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| * please include log and core file(s) from the UI if
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| * available.
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| *
> May 11 00:18:56: vmx| Unable to continue without a UI.
>
> Any suggestion on what's causing the crashes.
>
> I have plenty of free disk space 60Gb+
> I use NVIDIA 6200 with the NVIDIA driver compiled on this computer
>
> Any suggestion of what I should look for to further investigate?

I am experiencing the same thing.  Firefox 2.0, VMware Server Console (not
the VMware Server itself) and bittorrent die on me at random intervals,
approximately once or twice a day (bittorrent more often than that).  No
other applications seem to be affected in my case (I don't use Claws mail
like the OP).

I first noticed this with Firefox 1.5, but it was hanging instead of
dying.  That's why I installed 2.0, but the only change was that it
started dying instead of hanging.

Not sure if this is related, but the KDE Panel died on me three times so
far as well.

My setup is 32 bit CentOS 5 with few tools like bittorrent installed from
rpmforge, ASUS A8N-E motherboard with 3GB RAM and AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4400+, Nvidia graphics controller and plenty of disks
space on 1 EIDE and 2 SATA drives.