[CentOS] GRUB and vga=788

Tue May 15 19:04:49 UTC 2007
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> On a minimal (e. g. without X) server install, one of the first things I
> do is add 'vga=788' to the 'kernel' line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, so I
> can use the framebuffer in 800x600 mode and have a better readability in
> console mode.

Is it correct to assume that the 256 modes are faster than 32k, 64k and
16M? E.g., they require fewer CPU cycles to scroll up?

I'm using vga=775 on this machine, because 1280x1024 is the native
resolution of the LCD screens, so the display is much sharper this way,
and vga=773 on many other systems - both these modes are 256 colors.

It seems like the 32k modes and above take longer to scroll up, but I
haven't done any actual tests, it's just an impression.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/