[CentOS] Introduction

Tue May 15 20:28:06 UTC 2007
Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com>

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 21:50 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> days, maybe weeks. If not months. Right now for example, I have to
> rebuild my kernel - to enable one option (VESA) and disable one other
> (SMP, which causes the system to freeze with the rt61 driver).

You should know that rebuilding the kernel is strongly discouraged (and
unsupported). If a driver freezes the kernel, we should preferably get
the driver fixed.

> A very good thing to do would be to provide source RPM packages for
> various drivers. I don't know exactly if this is feasible, but let me
> give you an example. To install and configure an RT2500 wireless card
> with Debian, all you have to do is this:

The RPMForge source packages are available, but this is not what you
want. Dag has provided some nifty dkms driver packages. These packages
compile a module for the running kernel post-install, and after booting
a new kernel (e.g. after a kernel update). No more manual module
compilation is necessary. While it may not be the preferred option for
servers, I certainly like it elsewhere.

> # apt-get install module-assistant
> # module-assistant prepare --> this fetches all the tools necessary for
> compilation
> # apt-get install rt2500-source
> # module-assistant auto-install rt2500-source --> builds the module as a
> .deb package and installs it for the running kernel
> # modprobe rt2500
> # ifconfig -a
> Etcetera... dead easy. (Well, no, dead easy is Ubuntu that already *has*
> all these modules available by default :o/ )

How about

yum install nvidia-x11-drv
or
yum install dkms-ipw3945

? to name just two examples. Seems less cumbersome to me :).

--Daniel