[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Wed May 16 20:45:23 UTC 2007
Lanny Marcus <mailing-lists at computer2.com>

>Message: 31
>Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:25:42 +0800
>From: Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

<snip>
<the reliability factor has been proven to be the same across the board.
<You must have missed the thread on the Google report on various drives
<that they use

Feizhou:  Yes, I did not see that. If the MTBF's are the same, then the
Performance specs you provided are what one needs to go with, when choosing
components. If Google has posted Failure rates, for the drives they use, that
would be more meaningful than MTBF by the drive manufacturer, for that
particular drive model.

Questions: Is it your belief that all PATA/SATA/SCSI drives made by one
manufacturer have the same MTBF? (I find that hard to believe. However,
that might be the case.....) Also, is it your belief that these drives,
made by different manufacturers, all have the same MTBF?

>Who says? You? I like to have an online offsite RAID backup server. Is
>there an ONE TRUE WAY OF BACKUP?

No. Obviously, there is no one true way of backup. Everyone's needs are different.
Your online off site RAID backup server is one way. Backups *must* be
off site, in the event of a catastrophic problem.

Thank you, for sharing your time and knowledge with the list! Lanny