[CentOS] Yum site cache

Thu May 17 20:22:42 UTC 2007
Rob Lines <rlinesseagate at gmail.com>

On 5/17/07, Max Hetrick <btmanmeh at verizon.net> wrote:

> Lorenzo wrote:
> > since I'm installing several copies of CentOS I was thinking of using
> > some system to save bandwidth.
> >
> > I started looking at mrepo, but I noticed that, if I let him sync with
> > updates and rpmforge repos, I'll end with a _lot_ of unneeded files.
> > Also I have to modify the various yum repos configuration files for it
> > to work.
>
> I'm not sure if this answers what you want or not, but I just use rsync
> and point it to a lower level mirror as per the CentOS folks wishes.

<snip>

To take Max's suggestion a bit farther if you do the local mirror you can
then use the boot.iso file found under /$release_number$/os/i386/images/ and
create a bootable CD from that.  It will give you the option to choose a
location for the source files.  I have my local yum mirror under
http://server/centos/$release_number/ and I can enter the server name and
then the path /centos/4/os/i386 and it will then install over the wire the
rest of the OS instead of swapping disks.  Then after I log in I go to the
/etc/yum.repos.d/ folder and rename the existing CentOS-Base.repo to
CentOS-Base.old and wget my edited CentOS-Base.repo file from that same web
server.  Now when I do a yum update it will use the new version and pull all
the updates right from the local server.

I also have to use the centosplus repo for the kernel so that is already
changed in the .repo file on the web server.

It does take a little bit of time to set up the initial mirror and to do the
initial rsync but now when new updates come down they were synced over night
when the internet connection is far less taxed and I can do the individual
updates much faster.

If you have a whole lot you could even look at making a kickstart file and
putting it up on the webserver to use in combination with the boot.iso CD
and add a script to the end of the kickstart to do the rename and download
of the new .repo file.

Rob