[CentOS] alpha server for CentOS

Fri May 18 02:53:17 UTC 2007
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 5/17/07, Abba Communications <lists06 at abbacomm.net> wrote:

> Did CentOS get an alpha yet
>
> How does this one look?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160115818814
>
> will it do the job or not?

Well.. depends on the job, etc you want on it. A 667 Mhz alpha is the
equiv speed of a 166 to 300 Mhz Pentium box (if I remember the
building speeds on the old alphas we had). It would probably take 6-8
weeks to compile the entire distro on it... but we would probably want
only a ServerCD version.. as trying to fix things like OpenOffice etc
would just not be fun without a bucket of cash.. and then it would
just be a bucket of cash :)

What are the customers needs for hardware, software, services? How
many people are going to champion this?