[CentOS] [OT] External RAID storage / NAS

Fri May 18 15:49:44 UTC 2007
rs at centos.spam.futz.org <rs at centos.spam.futz.org>

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:04:16 +0800 Feizhou wrote:
F> > Do you have a quiet, external drive case in mind?
F>
F> I would suggest eSATA cases. An si3124 controller with 4 eSATA ports is
F> available for around 100USD.
F>
F> eSATA is much better than USB 2.0 for disks. Or go firewire.

I would stick with eSATA. Firewire bandwidth is ok, but you can use smartmon
to monitor firewire for disk failures. (Yes, I found this out the hard way.) I
still use firewire for occasional portable storage, but I won't ever use it
again for storage that is connected/used 24x7.

--
"No sense being pessimistic.  It wouldn't work anyway."
- Phillip Mueller