[CentOS] Now I can't shutdown [was: Screen blanks afteral p (Centos 5)]

Sat May 19 18:55:11 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 5/19/07, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 17:54 +0300, Itay wrote:
> > 4 A couple of strange things
> >    + I have found out that the default run level was set to 3.
> >      When, as a root I tried 'telinit 5', the machine responded with a
> >      blank screen.  I had to reset.
>
> Have you tried a <CTRL>-<ALT>-<F1> when this happens? Since desktop is
> being started on tty7, if it fails and seems blank, maybe switching to
> virtual console 1 will work, if the machine is still alive.

This symptom actually sounds exactly like what has been happening on
my laptop when no networking is available at boot time.  It could be
unrelated to the panic problems.

> >    + Rebooting the machine was accompanied with messages regarding
> >      ntp/clock skew.  Later, I have found out that I have lost the
> >      network connection, probably while playing with the
> >      installation, so this probably explains the clock skew.
> >      Am not sure if this has any relevance.

It's probably not relevant to the panics but it could be producing
other symptoms that are confusing the diagnosis.  Try to get it fixed
again if you can.

Bill's advice (e.g. about checking hardware connections) is good.