[CentOS] Re: Oddity with 4.5 and linode.com

Sat May 19 22:21:56 UTC 2007
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:37:45PM -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> But on reboot it took 3 minutes to do the "checking for new hardware" stage.
> I initially thought that's because of a new release, so I did another reboot.
> That also took 2 minutes.
>
> OK, a minor issue (I don't reboot often) but... dunno if this is a UML
> issue or a linode specific issue, but 2 minutes in kudzu is a little odd!

OK, the problem is to do with serial ports, ttyS*.  Under UML these can be
mapped to pty's on the host and it takes a while for kudzu to work through
the resulting devices entries.

My quick kludge is to simply add an rc script that deletes the serial ports
before kudzu runs, but is there a better way of configuring udev so it doesn't
create them in the first place?

#!/bin/sh
#
# STOP_TTY - delete serial ports
#
# chkconfig: 345 04 99
#
case "$1" in
  start)
        /bin/rm -f /dev/ttyS*
        ;;
  stop)
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        ;;
  condrestart)
        ;;
  status)
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

--