[CentOS] Error building kernel for CentOS 5.0

Mon May 21 19:41:36 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On 5/21/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah, of course - the confrontational approach.  I love it!
>
> If you want to take it as such, that is of course your perogative. To
> me it's simply a display of facts.

I do not consider someone calling me lazy a display of fact.  I do
consider it confrontational, and, at least in this case, unnecessarily
so.

> You may have differences on your
> system other than what Karanbir has. So even with two identical files,
> you may still have differences. Posting your version of the rpmmacros
> file won't help us find those. You comparing build logs will.

It might, but I have no particular desire, absent other compelling
input, to wade through a 52817 line diff.  If you do, my hat's off to
you, or would be if I wore one.

> Because scripted (rpmbuild and specfile) builds are reproduceable in
> similar manner, using diff will let you identify differences with line
> number tagging. Makes things simple.

I have used diff for years for this and other, far less complex
issues, but I dare say even you would not prefer to plow (or wade)
through a 52000+ line diff.

Among other things, there are differences related to the build
directory, my excluding xen and including jfs and xfs.  Should the new
kernel not function properly, I will be delighted (sort of) to go back
and use the plain vanilla spec file and grep out the build dir
differences.

FWIW, diff was a great suggestion; my issue was with the context (see above).

--
Mark Hull-Richter
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)