[CentOS] Re: something like apt-cacher for yum

Tue May 22 13:07:07 UTC 2007
Jean Figarella <jfigarella at vecna.com>

Scott Silva wrote:
> Lorenzo spake the following on 5/21/2007 10:03 AM:
>> Oliver Schulze L. ha scritto:
>>> You can download all the files in one server that then use .rpms
>>> with something like:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq#Q11
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/createrepo/
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Oliver
>>>
>> Sure, but yu'll end downloading a lot of unneeded rpms.. (for example
>> foreign languages, PAE kernel, kernel-devel and so on...) which may be
>> worse than downloading the same rpm 3 or 4 times!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Lorenzo
> I have never tried it, but maybe you could rsync the yum cache from one
> machine to another.

* Set up an mrepo server, with only a local repository.
* Use yum to update one machine.
* Copy the packages from this machine to the desired local repository,
* Regenerate yum repo data with merepo and configure all computers' yum
to use the mrepo repository.
* I'm sure that yum can do download only and then with a perl or bash
script you can have the mrepo local repository synced.

Jean