[CentOS] Apple hfs mounting help. OT maybe?

Tue May 22 19:41:21 UTC 2007
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akemi Yagi" <amyagi at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Apple hfs mounting help. OT maybe?

> On 5/22/07, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>> I am running a CentOS 3 server with a kernel version -2.4.21-40. I
>> typically
>> use Webmin to accomplish mounting varied filesystems, but this one has me
>> buffaloed.
>
>> When I try to mount it as an Apple hfs, I get a message that the fs type
>> is
>> not supported by this kernel.
>>
>> Steve Campbell
>
> This is not a helpful reply but I believe the CentOS 4 and 5 kernels
> have hfs file system support turned on.  If this is not the case with
> CentOS 3, you would have to either rebuild the kernel or compile the
> hfs kernel module.
>
> Akemi

Actually, this is part of what I was looking for as an answer. I wasn't sure
if the kernel had that support or not and wasn't sure how to discover
whether it had so or not. Unfortunately, a lot of the servers I run can't be
updated regularly due to a few non-Open source programs running on them, and
the time to shut down, upgrade OS, and recompile is not always there.

Thanks for the reply , and a little help towards the solution. If I find a
spare machine to put a newer release on, I will proceed.

Steve