[CentOS] Can't start X with latest CentOS 50. kernel

Wed May 23 00:54:14 UTC 2007
Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net>

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> Glad to hear from you, Mark.
>>
>> I was surprised to hear that you rebuilt the driver.  I tried to attach
>> the packaged (.run) driver I downloaded from Nvidia, but it was too
>> large to send.  Not sure which way to go at this point.  Advice would be
>> appreciated.
>>

> This is the name of the .run file I have:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9755-pkg2.run
>
> If you've never built this before, you need to have the kernel headers
> installed in order to rebuild the driver.  For some reason my system
> can't seem to locate nvidia's web site from run level 3, so it just
> builds the driver locally - works for me, ymmv.
>
> I'm guessing that you know how to run this already - if your machine
> can download the driver from nvidia, I'd use that one and not rebuild.
> In fact, I probably could have just copied the driver over from my
> 8.1.3 modules library to the 8.1.4 one (didn't think of that one...).

Thank you, Mark, for helping me get my thinker going again (it was
asleep).  It didn't occur to me, while first installing the driver, that
it was building modules!  Duh!!

I went to init 3, reinstalled the driver, reset inttab to rl 5...tada!!

Works like a champ.  Have a great evening.  Thank you CentOS!!

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1775