[CentOS] Vsftpd & Iscsi - fast enough

Wed May 23 16:32:14 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Yes, cache is king here, whether it be FTP, CIFS, or SQL DBs.

Think 64-bit, and as much RAM as you can afford/fit into it.

> > As a side note, when using the Promise VTrak and iSCSI it supports
> > multipath.
>
> It would probably be simpler to provide a separate interface
> or two for
> the ftp server <-> storage network than to go too crazy with
> multipathing.  And for an ftp server you shouldn't need a great deal
> more speed on the filesystem side than you have on client
> connection side.

How about two 4-port e1000 cards, PCI-X 133 if you have 2 PCI-X 133
slots... If that is over-kill, then 2 2-port cards.

You can then mix-up bonding and multi-pathing for SAN and Internet
traffic and have 2 separate cards for redundancy, though I have yet
to see a network card fail, in my experience memory, storage
HBAs/disks, graphics cards and the occassional motherboard seem to
be the biggest culprits.

I would definitely keep the SAN traffic, Internet traffic and
system management traffic separate.

-Ross