[CentOS] A question about RAID and partitions

Wed May 23 16:40:08 UTC 2007
Scott Moseman <scmoseman at gmail.com>

On 5/23/07, Brent L. Bates <blbates at vigyan.com> wrote:

> I've found over the years any more partitioning than that is just
> a waste of disk space.  If I had more partitions, I usually ended
> up with one partition with a lot of excess space and others with
> not enough.  It was just easier to have everything together.

Ditto from my experience.  I have had problems with *lack* of space
in a partition (not lack of physical drive space) way more often than I
have had partitions filling up with evil, wasteful data.  I have employed
single partitions systems for awhile now, using a good NMS package
to monitor, graph and alarm on disk space utilization.

The only partitions that I have been known to still break apart are the
/var/mysql and sometimes /home, but only because they are often on
their own RAID arrays for ease of expansion.

Thanks,
Scott