[CentOS] Re: Suggested way to remotely monitor servers and networks these days?

Thu May 24 01:46:13 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Dexter Ang spake the following on 5/23/2007 5:36 PM:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm just wondering what is the recommended way of monitoring servers and
> networks remotely. My current setup is to install and configure cacti
> and nagios. I've set these up to require SSL. This way, I can easily go
> to them and login from wherever I am and monitor (almost) everything I
> need to monitor.
>
> The problem is that leaving cacti open was the most stupid thing I've
> done. After checking /var/log/httpd/error_log, I saw that someone
> exploited a cacti php file and the result was:
Have you tried something as simple as using ssh tunnels on obscure ports and
not having the tools pointed to outward facing interfaces?
You can even use putty and xming on a windows machine and get in that way.
If you keep your ssh secure and even only use key based logins, you can feel
at least a little safer.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and