[CentOS] Encryption software for CentOS 5.0

Thu May 24 11:55:11 UTC 2007
Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com>

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 14:45 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> In the past while I was using SL 4.x. I was using BestCrypt. Now in
> CentOS 5.0, neither BestCrypt nor TrueCrypt seem to work. Is there any
> volume encryption or full HDD encryption that works with CentOS 5.0 out
> there (preferably in single-user mode)?

Yes, dm-crypt/cryptsetup. We have some documentation in the Wiki:
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/EncryptedFilesystem

I use it for encrypted partitions on removable devices. Works fine for
me. There's also support for encrypted system partitions, though I think
'/' encryption requires a custom initrd image.

-- Daniel